What is a Humidor Hygrometer?
A humidor hygrometer is a device used to measure the humidity levels inside a humidor, which is a container used to store cigars. It typically uses a thermometer and a hygrometer to measure temperature and humidity respectively. The device helps to ensure that the cigars are stored at the correct humidity level, which is typically around 70% relative humidity, to preserve the cigars’ flavor and quality.
Maintaing Humidity of Cigar Storage/ Humidor
Maintaining proper humidity levels is crucial for cigar storage as it plays a major role in preserving the cigars’ flavor and quality. Cigars are made of tobacco leaves that have been carefully fermented and aged. These leaves contain oils and other natural compounds that give cigars their unique flavor and aroma. If the humidity level is too low, the cigars will become dry and lose their flavor and aroma. On the other hand, if the humidity level is too high, cigars can become moldy and spoil.
The optimal humidity level for cigar storage is around 70% relative humidity. This level allows the cigars to retain their moisture and flavor without becoming too damp. At this humidity level, cigars will also burn evenly and slowly, providing a better smoking experience.
Furthermore, maintaining proper humidity levels also helps to prevent cigars from becoming damaged or ruined due to changes in temperature. Extreme temperatures can cause cigars to expand and contract, which can lead to cracks and splits in the wrapper. High humidity can also cause cigars to become soft, making them difficult to cut and light.
Maintaining proper humidity levels is essential for cigar storage as it helps to preserve the cigars’ flavor, aroma, and quality. It also helps to prevent cigars from becoming damaged or ruined due to changes in temperature. A humidor hygrometer is a useful tool for measuring and maintaining the humidity level in a humidor.
Why use Humidor Hygrometer?
Using a humidor hygrometer is important for several reasons:
- Accurate readings: A humidor hygrometer allows you to accurately measure the humidity level inside your humidor, ensuring that the cigars are stored at the optimal level of 70% relative humidity.
- Easily monitor humidity levels: A humidor hygrometer makes it easy to monitor the humidity level inside your humidor over time, so you can make adjustments as needed to keep the cigars fresh and flavorful.
- Early detection of problems: By monitoring the humidity level regularly, you can quickly detect any problems with your humidor, such as leaks or issues with your humidification system, and take steps to correct them before they cause damage to your cigars.
- Better smoking experience: When cigars are stored at the right humidity level, they burn evenly and slowly, providing a better smoking experience.
- Cost-effective: In the long run, investing in a humidor hygrometer can save you money by ensuring that your cigars are stored properly and preventing them from becoming damaged or ruined.
Types of Humidor Hygrometer
There are several types of humidor hygrometers available on the market, each with its own set of features and benefits. The three main types are analog, digital, and smart hygrometers.
- Analog hygrometers: Analog hygrometers are the most basic type of humidor hygrometer. They typically use a spring-loaded mechanism and a needle to indicate the humidity level. These hygrometers are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, but they can be less accurate than other types of hygrometers.
- Digital hygrometers: Digital hygrometers use electronic sensors to measure humidity and display the results on a digital screen. They are more accurate than analog hygrometers and often include additional features such as temperature displays and memory functions. They can be more expensive than analog hygrometers.
- Smart hygrometers: Smart hygrometers are the latest type of humidor hygrometer, they are digital hygrometers that can be connected to a smartphone or other device through Bluetooth or WiFi, allowing you to monitor and adjust the humidity level in your humidor remotely. They also can store data, track humidity and temperature over time, and even alert you when the humidity level is out of range. They are the most expensive type of hygrometer but also the most advanced.
Calibrating a Humidor Hygrometer
Calibrating a humidor hygrometer is an important step in ensuring that the device provides accurate readings of the humidity level inside the humidor. Incorrect readings can lead to cigars being stored at the wrong humidity level, which can negatively impact their flavor and quality.
There are several methods for calibrating a humidor hygrometer, including:
This is a simple and widely used method to calibrate an hygrometer. It involves mixing a small amount of table salt with water in a container and placing the hygrometer in it alongside a thermometer. The container should be sealed and left for a few hours, after which the hygrometer should read 75% relative humidity. If it does not, you can adjust the hygrometer accordingly.
Boveda calibration pack
This method uses a special calibration pack that contains a known level of humidity. You simply place the pack in the humidor and the hygrometer in the pack, and leave it for a certain amount of time. Then you compare the reading of your hygrometer with the humidity level inside the pack, if they differ, you can adjust your hygrometer accordingly.
You can also have your hygrometer professionally calibrated. This typically involves sending the device to the manufacturer or a third-party calibration service, where it will be tested and adjusted as needed.
It’s important to calibrate your hygrometer regularly, at least once every few months, to ensure that the readings remain accurate over time.
Maintaing Optimal Humidity in Humidors
Maintaining proper humidity levels in a humidor is crucial for preserving the cigars’ flavor and quality. Here are some tips and techniques for keeping the humidity level in a humidor at the optimal range of 70% relative humidity:
- Use a Humidor Hygrometer: A humidification device, such as a humidifier or a humidity pouch, can help to keep the humidity level inside the humidor at the correct level. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using and maintaining your humidification device.
- Monitor humidity levels regularly: Use a hygrometer to monitor the humidity level inside the humidor regularly and make adjustments as needed.
- Avoid drastic temperature changes: Keep your humidor away from windows, air conditioners, and heating vents to avoid drastic temperature changes, which can affect the humidity level inside the humidor.
- Keep the humidor sealed: Make sure that the lid of your humidor is closed tightly to maintain a consistent humidity level inside.
- Rotate your cigars: cigars that are stored for a long time tend to absorb humidity and moisture from the surrounding environment. To ensure that all cigars are stored at the optimal humidity level, you should rotate them regularly.
- Avoid overcrowding: Overcrowding your humidor can make it difficult to maintain the proper humidity level. Be sure to leave enough space between cigars to allow for proper airflow.
- Keep an eye on the seal of your humidor: Over time, the seal of your humidor may weaken. This can cause humidity leaks and make it difficult to maintain the proper humidity level. If you notice that the humidity level inside your humidor is consistently too low or too high, check the seal and replace it if necessary.
Best Humidor Hygrometers
A thorough research has been carried out with hands-on experience of digital humidor hygrometers anad five best humidor hygrometers have been shortlisted in our article titled ‘Digital Hygrometers for Humidors‘ (a must-read for everyone).
Here is a summary of the article:-
Model & Company
Cigar Oasis Caliber IV Digital Hygrometer by Western Humidor
HygroSet II Digital Hygrometer for Humidors by Hygroset
Inkbird ITH-10 Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer for Monitoring Humidor by InkBird
Caliber 4R Silver Digital/Analog Hygrometer by Western Humidor
Xikar PuroTemp Rectangular Digital Hygrometer by Xikar
To sum it up, a humidor hygrometer is an essential tool for cigar enthusiasts looking to preserve the flavor and quality of their cigars. Proper humidity levels are crucial for cigar storage and a humidor hygrometer allows you to accurately measure and maintain these levels. There are different types of hygrometers available, each with their own set of features and benefits, so be sure to choose one that suits your needs and budget. Regularly calibrating your hygrometer and following tips for maintaining proper humidity levels will help ensure that your cigars are stored at their best. Investing in a humidor hygrometer is a cost-effective way to protect your cigars and ensure a great smoking experience.